Duncan Calder is a qualified Chartered Accountant who has extensive financial and commercial experience in providing valuations, forensic and transactional services to clients. He was a partner with KPMG Australia between 1997 and 2014, leading its Western Australian corporate finance, forensic services and energy and natural resources practices for over a decade.
Duncan was a member of the Chamber of Minerals & Energy WA’s Infrastructure & Economics Committee (2008-2014) and was the Chair of the Forensic Accountants Special Interest Group WA at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (2011-2014).
Transactional services and deals with China
Duncan founded and led KPMG Australia’s National China Business Practice in 2002 and was a highly visible and approachable leader of the Australia China Business Council as National President (2013 – 2014) and Western Australian State President (2007 – 2013).
Duncan spearheaded the organisation as a respected leader and commentator in international business, championing it to a position as the peak national body across Australia promoting Sino-Australian trade and investment and delivering sweeping change in reputation and political influence, whilst achieving over 800% growth in Western Australia.
He was appointed as a Cultural Ambassador for China and received a “Friendship Award” from the Chinese Government for promoting Sino-Australian relationships to build deep relationships with generations of Chinese business and government leaders over many years.
Duncan has valued hundreds of business operations over two decades as a specialist valuations practitioner including operations in each of the following industries: iron ore, copper, gold, coal, mineral sands, nickel, gold, diamonds, zinc, lead, forestry, power generation, oil & gas, manufacturing, retail, agriculture, aged care and retirement villages etc.
Forensic services and contract compliance
Duncan has performed many valuations and loss of profit calculations for contractual disputes, include the provision of expert witness testimony in various courts throughout Australia including the Family Court, the District Court and the Supreme Court in both civil and criminal matters. Duncan led many investigations into corporate theft and fraud across a variety of business sectors.
Strategic and infrastructure advisory
Economic Infrastructure advisory including dealing with State Agreements and funding of projects. Involved in significant pieces of work regarding port and export infrastructure.
Navigating China and Transactional Advisory Services
- Assisted Baosteel in relation to a JV magnetite investment and iron ore off-take agreement with FMG and then being JOINTLY appointed by Baosteel and FMG to assist them to successfully restructure and merge their magnetite iron ore interests
Acted as principal financial adviser to Sinosteel for a 5 year period on negotiations with Rio Tinto in relation to the ultimately successful extension of the flagship Channar Iron Ore Joint Venture
- Assisted Baosteel in relation to various potential investments including due diligence and negotiation assistance
- Assisted Hunan Valin in its due diligence in relation to its investment in FMG
Acted as financial adviser to Australia LNG in relation to negotiations with CNOOC Ltd, China’s third largest oil and gas company
Provided Sinosteel with corporate finance, valuation and lead financial advisor acquisition negotiation advice in relation to a number of iron ore and uranium investments
MCC-CITIC Pacific – various valuation, corporate finance, forensic dispute and other engagements
- Loss of profit expert reports for:
- Mt Gibson Iron’s claims against Rizhao, Pioneer and Sinom
- Consolidated Minerals various disputes with trucking contractors
- Multiple business valuations for Family Law purposes
- Investigations for FMG on major contracts and for counterparties with FMG
- Investigations on behalf of prominent Western Australian family of alleged theft and fraud by employees of their private company
- Investigations on behalf of prominent Western Australian family of alleged mismanagement and theft from pastoral properties by property manager
- Various construction disputes and contract compliance engagements between major contractors and its sub-contractors, including in relation to early termination of mining contracts and maximising financial and commercial outcomes.
Strategic and infrastructure advisory
Economic Infrastructure advisory including dealing with State Agreements and funding of projects. Involved in significant pieces of work regarding port and export infrastructure, for example:
- He acted as principal financial adviser to the Port of Geraldton on the port deepening and capacity expansion projects
- He acted as principal financial adviser to the Port of Port Hedland on development of new public berth and advising in negotiations with FMG
- He acted as principal financial adviser to the Port of Esperance in relation to proposed port expansion
- Western Power – advising Government in the evaluation of bids to build numerous power stations in regional Western Australia involving review of power plant agreements and power plant forecasts for a variety of fuel sources from coal to diesel to gas.
- China Railway Materials, CCCC and Yilgarn Infrastructure Limited – various financial advisory roles including liaison and negotiation with State Government departments.
- Duncan was financial adviser to Mitsui Iron Ore Development as in relation to its initial entry into Pilbara Rail with Rio Tinto and also its subsequent entry into Pilbara Iron, advising on financing and structuring issues.